This is only my second time making banana cream pie. It already became the all-time favorite dessert by my team at work. It is easy to make and will be a hit at your next party.
Banana Cream Pie
Prep time: 30 mins
Total time: 5 hours (including refrigeration time)
- 3 egg yolks (what to do with the egg whites? Try the recipe here)
- 5 tsp cornstarch
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 whipping cream
- 2 bananas
- 1 egg white
- 1 pre-made graham cracker pie crust
I cheated with the pre-made pie crust (shhhh!). As a novice at pie making, I don't own a pie pan. And I personally think the pre-made crust is perfect for carrying the pie to work. They even give you the plastic top!
- In a heavy medium-size saucepan, beat the egg yolks. Mix in the corn starch and sugar. Stir in milk, salt and butter.
- Cook the egg/milk mixture over medium heat for 7 mins, until bubbling and thick. Stir occasionally.
- Turn off the heat. Mix in the vanilla extract. Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Use an electric mixer to whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks. Fold the whipped cream into the custard.
- Peel and dice 1 banana into small cubes. Fold the diced banana evenly into the custard mixture. This step gives the pie a lot of banana flavor.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Lightly brush the pie crust with the egg white.
- Place the pie crust on the center of the oven rack and bake for 7 mins. When it is lightly browned, let the crust cool on a rack.
- Peel and slice 1 banana. Place the banana slices evenly on the bottom of the cooled pie crust.
- Spoon the filling into the crust, cover with plastic wrap and chill for another 2 hours or overnight.
- Arrange a few banana slices on top for decoration. Ready to serve!
Adding whipped cream
Mixing in diced banana
Banana cream pie being shared at work.