Italian Sausage with Root Vegetables Stew
Serves 3 people
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- 2 Italian hot sausages (about 2/3 lb), cut into 1/2 inch length
- 1 turnip rutabaga
- 3 carrots
- 2 red potatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp of cooking wine (Shaoxing rice wine or sherry wine)
- 1/2 cup of your favorite tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Peel all the root veggies and cut them into rough chunks
- In a medium size pot, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil
- Add in the sausage, cook on high heat for about 2 mins, or until sausage is lightly browned
- Add garlic, turnip rutabaga and the cooking wine, cook for another 2 mins
- Mix in potatoes and carrots. Add in parsley, bay leaf and fennel seeds. Stir on high heat for 2 mins.
- Pour in the tomato sauce. Then add 1 cup of water or broth.
- Cook on high heat until boil. Simmer on low heat for 20 mins.
- The veggies should be tender now. Add 2 tsp of salt and some freshly ground pepper. Cook on high heat for 1 min to reduce the broth.