Serving size: 2
Cooking time: 45 mins
Prep time: 60 mins
- 1/2 cup Japanese short grain rice
- 2 skinless boneless chicken thigh (about 1/2 lb)
- 1 - 2 carrots
- 2 fresh Shiitake mushrooms (or hydrate dry Shiitake mushrooms)
- 3 oz oyster mushrooms
- 3 oz Buna-Shimeji mushrooms
- 1 tsp finely minced ginger
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1/2 Dashi or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp Sake
- 1 tbsp Mirin
- 1 tbsp Usukuchi Shoyu (Light color soy sauce, can be replaced by regular all purpose soy sauce)
- Rinse the rice for about 5 times until the water is clear.
- Let the rice soak in cold water for at least 1 hour.
- Cut the chicken thighs into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Cut the carrots in matchstick, about 1/2 cup.
- Thinly slice Shiitake mushrooms.
- Use your hands to break apart oyster mushrooms.
- Remove the stem of Buna-Shimeji mushrooms.
- In a bowl, mix sake + mirin + soy sauce + stock + a pinch of salt.
- Drain the rice, place the chicken on top of the rice. Then evenly spread mushrooms, carrots, ginger, scallion on top of the chicken. Do not mix.
- Pour the stock over the veggies.
a) Using a rice cooker
- Depends on the rice cooker, it took 40 mins to cook on my cooker.
b) Using a regular pot on the stove
- Bring the mixture to boil, cook for 3 mins on medium heat. Simmer for 20 mins or until cooked.
- Let the rice rest for 5 mins. Mix before serving.
The rice turns white from transparent after soaked in water.