This is the ultimate comfort food for me.
Pork and Egg Stew
Serves 4 people
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 1.5 hr
- 2 lb pork shoulder or pork butt
- 4 eggs
- 1 Chinese cinnamon stick (Cassia bark)
- 2 star anises
- 5 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing rice cooking wine
- 1 chunk of ginger
- 1 scallion – roughly chopped
- 5-8 pieces rock sugar (You can use regular sugar (2 tablespoon), but rock sugar gives it a better color)
- Cut the pork into 1-inch cubes, wash the meat with hot water
- Lightly drizzle the pot with canola oil, add ginger, scallion, and sauté for 10 secs
- Add in the pork and sear the meat on high heat for 1-2 mins
- Add cooking wine and sugar, cook for 1 min. Then add dark and light soy sauce, cinnamon stick and anise stars. When the sauce starts to boil, add about 1 cup of warm water (the water should barely covers the meat). After all the sauce is well mixed and boiling, cover the pot and simmer for 40 mins.
- In a separate pot, boil the eggs for about 7 mins till they are completely cooked. Peel of the shell.
- Add hard boiled eggs in the pork stew. Gently mix so that the eggs are bathing in the sauce. Cook on high heat till boil, then cover and simmer for 40 mins.
- Remove the cover, cook on high heat for 5 mins to reduce the sauce.
** Serving suggestion: white rice and a simple veggie dish.