I was really amazed when I had this dish for the first time. It is light and flavorful. The texture of the tofu is very interesting- firm on the outside, silky and fluffy on the inside. This dish is healthy and vegetarian-friendly.
Agedashi Tofu with Mushroom Medley
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- 1 block of silken tofu (about 10 oz)
- 2 oz daikon (white radish)
- 2 oz baby carrots
- 1 scallion
- 1 pack of chef's selection gourmet mushroom (10 oz)
(The one I got has Velvet Pioppini, Brown and Alba Clamshell mushrooms. You can also use Maitake or oyster mushrooms.)
- Potato starch or corn starch
- 1/2 cup dashi broth
- 2 tbsp purpose soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sake
- 1 1/2 tbsp mirin
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp Yuzu Kosho (optional, this condiment is made from yuzu, a Japanese citrus fruit)
- Grate the daikon and carrots for about 2 tbsp each.
- Finely slice the green part of the scallion, about 2 tbsp
- Remove the stem of the mushrooms
2) Fry tofu
- Cut the tofu into 1x1x2 inch squares
- Dry the tofu carefully with paper towel
- On a plate, lightly cover the tofu with starch
- On a heated oil pan, fry the tofu squares on both sides for about 2-3 mins each side or until golden
- Place the fried tofu on paper towel to remove the excess oil
3) Cook mushroom
- On a lightly oiled pan, stir fry the mushrooms for about 2 mins. Add 1 tsp of salt.
- Plate the mushrooms
4) Make tentsuyu sauce
- In a sauce pot, mix 1/2 cup dashi with soy sauce, sugar, mirin and sake. Cook till boil
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tbsp of starch with 2 tbsp of dashi broth. Mix well and slowly pour into the sauce pot.
- Stir the sauce on high heat till boil
- Place the fried tofu on the mushrooms. Scoop daikon, carrot and scallion on top of the tofu. Add 1 pinch of yuzu kosho on each piece of tofu if desired. Drizzle tentsuyu sauce over all the ingredients.
[Daishi Recipe -
- 1 kombu sheet (5"x5") (dried kelp)
- 2 tbsp bonito flakes
- Place kombu in 4 cups of cold water, boil on high heat. Before the water start to boil, take out the kombu. Heat till the water boil, add in bonito flakes and turn off the heat immediately. Let the flakes sit in the broth for about 5 mins. Strain and store the broth.]